What can City Property Lets do for me?

We provide the following services to landlords:

  • Advertising via City Property Lets website, Rightmove, display window, property lists, signboards
  • Viewings, rent appraisals and negotiations
  • Accepting property applications
  • Preparing tenancy agreements
  • Carrying out inventories
  • Rent collection, disbursements, monthly accounting
  • Attending to repairs and maintenance on behalf of client
  • Mediating with disputes and issues on behalf of landlord.
  • Advising on legal requirements including How to Rent, EPC ratings, gas safety certificates and HMO licensing.

How do you find tenants?

We hardly ever have a student property left vacant by the time term begins. Between our long-standing reputation, our prime location on Gloucester Road and the strength of the Bristol rental market, we have no trouble finding tenants.

We do however make sure we pick the best applications, ensuring that the group is suitable for the area and the property. We also request guarantors to ensure rent security.

What does managing the property mean?

If you want us to manage the property, we will be the first port-of-call for tenants when there is an issue. We have a list of suitable contractors who can fix any problems as and when they arise. We’ll also take your preferences into account, so if you prefer to be notified before any work takes place, or if you have your own preferred contractors, let us know.


What do I do when I see a property I like?

First, you should see the property. You can book a viewing on our website, or give us a call on 0117 908 0062.

How do I apply?

Drop us an email at to tell us which property you like, and include the following details: Full names of all tenants and guarantors, email addresses of all tenants and guarantors, phone numbers of all tenants and guarantors.

We’ll send each member of your group an application form, which can be completed and digitally signed online. You’ll then receive further instructions on how to set up your rental payments and complete the process.

Do I need a guarantor?

All students need a guarantor, which is usually a parent or guardian. They must be based in the UK and complete the guarantor form via email. There is no extra charge for applying with a guarantor.

How long does my tenancy last?

Student tenancies last 12 months, from 1st July to the 30th June.

Who do I call if something goes wrong at home?

As we manage your property, you should get in touch with us first. We have a list of contractors so we can find the one with the quickest response time and arrange for the problem to be fixed. We can either give the contractor a contact number to arrange access with you, or we can provide them with a master set of keys so they can take care of the issue while you’re out at university.

Will I be liable for council tax?

Students aren’t liable for council tax, so if everyone in the house is in full-time education, then there will be no bill. You can notify Bristol City Council of your exemption online here:

What happens if I have an issue with a neighbour?

Unlike living in halls, renting in the community means living alongside a lot of non-students; families who may have young children, and people with all sorts of working hours. If you have a dispute, we recommend that you touch base with your neighbours. In most cases they are extremely reasonable and willing to accommodate you.

You may wish to share contact details. This will allow them to contact you if they are disturbed, and you can warn them in advance of any parties, so that you can reach a compromise and everyone can enjoy their own home.

We will notify tenants when a complaint is received and try to mediate where possible. In cases of repeated antisocial behaviour, City Property Lets may contact your guarantors and your university to resolve the issue.

What happens if I quit university?

If you want to keep living in the property, just let us know your circumstances have changed. You’ll be liable for council tax if you’re no longer in full time education, but you can get a 25% reduction if you’re the only non-student in the house.

Can I break the contract early?

To release you from the contract, we need to find a tenant to take over the room. We’re happy for you to advertise the room on social media or via your university, or we can list it online if required. We will create a new tenancy with the replacement tenant instead of you, and once they pay their deposit, yours will be returned to you, less Landlords re-letting costs.

Who can I speak to about my utility bills?

We don’t manage your utility bills, so you will need to speak to the company directly. If you’re not sure who your suppliers are, you can find out here:

To find out who supplies your gas: 0870 608 1524

To find out who supplies your electricity: 0800 096 3080


Do I need a guarantor?

All student tenants require a guarantor, and some professionals do too. If you’ve been in your employment for less than a year, or your earnings are below a certain threshold, you may need a UK-based guarantor to stand for you. Rest assured there’s no extra charge for applying with a guarantor.

Who do I contact if something goes wrong at home?

City Property Lets manages your property, so if something needs fixing at home, get in touch with us. We have a team of contractors who can deal with all sorts of maintenance issues.

How long does the tenancy last?

Professional properties are on six month tenancies which may move on to a rolling contract at the end of the term. When you plan to leave, we need one month’s notice from a rent date.

What is the deposit for?

The deposit is usually equivalent to one month’s rent and secures the property against any damages. When your tenancy comes to an end, we will inspect the property, and inform you of any damage costs. After any deductions (if applicable), the deposit will be returned to you.